Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Science Fiction Overload

I enjoy science fiction.

Mostly.

The parts I don't like is when the fiction is merely a thin veneer for overblown science.

I like science alright. I mean, blowing up chunks of sodium in Mr. Bigelow's class was pretty awesome. But if I want to get all science-robot-technical I can just wander around Wikipedia's quantum vacuum page for a few hours.

So for the past few weeks you can imagine my misery as I edit and re-edit and chop and rewrite and cut into the sci-fi horror novella I've promised to an editor.

Hey look! A Feynman diagram, don't put this in your book.
I put too much science in, and now I gotta cut it out. Or else the story isn't as cool. (Not cool enough for me to send to the editor... not yet)

I mean, I don't really need to convince the reader that quantum foam conditions theoretically could really honestly create wormholes... I can just tell you that the character magically did it with some new particle accelerator, wow suspend your disbelief!

Le sigh.

What about you? Have you ever found that your epic worldbuilding sometimes leaks a bit too much onto the page?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're chopping that beast down! I'm a smart girl, but my eyes were glazing over. Love talking 3rd, 4th, 5th dimensions with you, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're chopping that beast down! I'm a smart girl, but my eyes were glazing over. Love talking 3rd, 4th, 5th dimensions with you, though!

    ReplyDelete